Adoption is often considered a solely positive event that ensures a child grows up in a family, and at the same time allows the creation or extension of a family. However, years of experience have shown that adoption can be very challenging too, and for all parties involved. Adults who were adopted as children often find that they struggle with a range of specific issues for which they need support from counsellors who understand adoption. This is where PAC can help.
PAC's counselling service is also for adults who as children were permanently placed in a family other than their birth family, yet not adopted.
Please feel welcome to contact us with any concern you may have, whether or not listed on this site.
There are many different reasons for seeking counselling, these may include:
- emotional distress
- feelings of loss
- low self esteem
- identity confusion
- difficulties in sustaining close relationships
- questions around tracing birth parents and/or other birth relatives
- desire to establish contact with birth relatives
- a sense of disappointment related to contact
- managing reunion and/or subsequent relationship with birth relative/s
- wish to improve relationship with adoptive family
Advice line: 020 7284 5879
Our telephone advice line is open: Mon - Fri: 10 am - 1 pm, and Thu: 5.30 pm - 7.30 pm (excluding bank holidays)
Counselling is likely to be short term (usually up to 6 sessions). The first session serves as an assessment allowing you and the counsellor to clarify your needs. Consideration will be given to a stated preference regarding gender and ethnicity of the counsellor.
Formal telephone counselling sessions can be arranged. An initial face-to-face session is recommended.
This service offers preparation for possible contact and/or reunion with birth relatives, as well as initiation of contact with birth relatives, in accordance with relevant legislation.
Groups for adults adopted or permanently placed as children are usually time limited. Please contact us for details.
Our face-to-face services take place at PAC's main office in Kentish Town, London, as well as in a number of monthly outreach surgeries in and around London. Please contact us for details.
- Contracts we have with certain local authorities may allow some free-of-charge sessions.
- Fees for privately funded sessions:
- face-to-face counselling: £58.00 (+ VAT) per 50 min session
- telephone counselling: £46.00 (+ VAT) per 50 min session
- Fees for intermediary work will be calculated at an hourly rate.
- Fees for groups are lower, please contact us.
- Rates for local authorities commissioning our services are different, please contact us.
We aim to provide a safe space where any issue related to adoption/permanent placement can be explored. We also endeavour to actively help with processing intense feelings and identifying coping strategies. Careful preparation, support and guidance with regard to the many issues around contact with birth relatives, in accordance with relevant legislation, are core to our practice.
Our counsellors are
- experienced in working with diversity
Click here to view individual staff profiles of our team.
PAC Adult Counselling service user feedback
I have found the PAC service to be invaluable to my emotional wellbeing. Adopted person
I knew my situation was my own, but I didn't realise I felt so guilty about aspects of my life. I felt happy that I had turned out ok! I also felt great joy at realising and discussing the things I have dealt with and to be praised on the way I did so. Thank you so much. Adopted person
Very kind, sensitive and in tune. Adopted person
My counsellor was so good that I was able to talk to her about other issues that were indirectly involved. The support has been amazing. Thank you. Adopted person
I am still attending counselling. I feel I still have a long way to go but feel much more hopeful of my future. If it wasn’t for PAC I don’t know where I ‘d be now. I thoroughly recommend your service. Adopted person
Click here to download the PAC General Leaflet